Friday, June 5, 2009

A Tale of Two (Tall) Dresses


A few weekends ago, I was invited to the wedding of a good friend from high school and decided to invite one of my besties from college along for the ride. M's one of those great "Plus Ones" who gets along with everyone, always gets you a new drink before you notice the gin has faded out of your current one and knows how to boogie down on the dance floor. He was not, however, sympathetic to the trauma I endured at this wedding. TALL PEOPLE TRAUMA. Despite being a fellow TP (tall person), he thought I was silly. You be the judge.



After getting all gussied up in my prettiest Tall Gal style (heels on, hair blown out, more than one color eye shadow), we headed to the breathtaking Cairnwood Estate for the ceremony and reception. It's a magnificent setting, with an outdoor gardens, fountains and a cathederal (somewhat like Hogwarts without the mail-delivering owls) All is going well until - DUN DUN DUN - a gal half my height walks in wearing the SAME DRESS AS I AM.



I mean, COME ON. It's TALL PEOPLE TRAUMA at its finest. So after a few of those aforementioned gin & tonics, I decided it was time to document this moment for the world. So that everyone can determine that - despite the fact that the dress ends above the knee for me (and is tea length for her), that my waist is where her elbow is and my head basically soars above hers - I still say I pull it off in style. *sigh* But the looks? Let me tell you, the looks were a'plenty. So many confused people seeing her sit down at dinner and then finding me at the bar later, wondering did she put really high heels on during that time? Just another moment in the life of a TP.


It was a beautiful wedding though (congrats Kevin & Kelly) and good times were indeed had by all. TP Trauma, you'll have to try & shake me down another day!

2 comments:

  1. I was TOTALLY sympathetic! At first anyway. Maybe a little less so four hours later. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's Brenda and Kelly at the prom! I love it. The same thing actually happened to me at my high school prom, but the dress was so scary I'm not about to post photos to prove it. ;)

    ReplyDelete