Thursday, May 28, 2009

Taxation Without Representation

It is alas only my third blog post and I am (was) a little stumped on what to write. Last night's smashing dinner at Vinoteca de Monica's in the North End certainly deserves a mention as does today's delightfully kitch (kitsch?) lunch at the new Friendly Toast in Kendall Sq. Yes, dammit, I am a foodie and there will be blog posts a'plenty about those topics. In the meantime, go eat and those places and tell em' LHV sent you. I've got some tax issues to work out.

I was just recently made aware (thanks KFritzy!) of a rather delightful piece of academic research. Seems that Greg Mankiw, a professor of economics at Harvard University, wrote this satirical paper entitled The Optimal Taxation of Height: A Case Study of Utilitarian Income Redistribution. which states (tounge in cheek, obvi) that those of a higher stature should be charged higher taxes. And since I am not an economist, I cannot tell you what the political/economic/funny things that only rich smart people understand reasoning would be for making this argument. The part that I find most hysterical is that this paper, when written in 2007, actually gathered support in the government! Two guesses, a sassy pair of eyeglasses and a moose to those who can guess which state is in support: See below for the remarks made from Alaska's Stories In The News.

Rep. Mike Doogan, D-Anchorage, hailed the report as groundbreaking and sent two letters to the governor, one to the House Speaker, a postcard to the president, and a singing telegram to the Bundestag urging them to immediately adopt the tallness tax.

Rep. Doogan continued by saying

"I've said it time and time again," Doogan said. "The big and powerful always prosper at the expense of short people." Doogan reports his height at 5' 11", but medical records list it closer to 5' 8". "It's time tall people start carrying their own weight. I'd also like to see legislation to limit the amount of higher altitude air they breathe. By the time the air gets down to us, most of the good stuff has already been all breathed up."

Can you say amazing?? I dont even really have any comments on this because - really? REALLY? - it's just that crazy. I just think it is hysterical. This is the most random tall factoid I have ever come across and clearly, it's made my evening. Singing telegrams, rich people, a lack of oxygen?! Kudos Alaska.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh stop hogging all the GOOD AIR. I'm choking down here.

    This post reminds me of a Randy Newman song....

    ReplyDelete