Wednesday, May 27, 2009

What's Wrong With This Picture?

As a tall single gal roaming the streets of Boston, there are many alarming sights. The sketchy guy eying your purse on the Orange Line. The sleazy bartender eying your - whatever - on a Saturday night at Felt. But none strikes fear in the heart of the Tall Gal more than...DUN DUN DUN...the tall guy dating the short girl.

It's unfair from the start. I mean, how many guys over 6ft are there even in this town? And then to see one of our few potential soulmates matched up with a midget, ahem, a lady of petite height....it's enough to start a fire of rage inside you that has no equal. Usually I will be the first to condemn this pairing and point out how akward it must be when he has to bend in half to kiss her goodnight. But occassionaly (the exeption makes the rule, right?), there is a TG/SG pair that makes it ok. For me, that pair is Jen and Jason Newberg.

Jason is an old colleague of mine and stands proudly at 6'5" tall. His charming wife is all of 5'2" - and don't let her fool ya, that's on a good high heeled day. They were married in a custom-made chuppah (to be high enough for him) and the majority of their wedding photos involve at least one member of the newleyweds engaged in something to reduce their height (sitting on a bench, kneeling on the ground, lounging on a grassy knoll). And yet when in their presence...it just doesn't matter. You can't help but feel the love between them and know that sometimes, height knows no limits.

So for you, Jason & Jen, I will put aside my predjudice's towards to TG/SG pairings...but only until I spot the man of MY dreams hanging with a short gal. Then it's anybody's game.

1 comment:

  1. Ha it's so true. Boston doesn't have a lot of tall people (the Irish). In Chicago, I felt like the shortest person around... so many German bars and tall people! When I lived in Seattle, I was def on the taller side - lots of Asians (like myself).

    ReplyDelete